Sunday, April 09, 2006

Evening Glow

I was going to give this post the title "No planning required" because this scene epitomises the way I work best. I don't believe anyone can plan this type of shot because it relies on a dozen variables out of our control.

I've read that you're supposed to plan ahead before excursions to make the most of the light and conditions. Well I don't think that will work where I live because the conditions can change from minute to minute. The mist on the beach is a good example of the way in which a coastal climate can change rapidly.

Generally everything I photograph is a short drive from home anyway so no planning is really necessary and I have all my gear ready to go at a moment's notice anyway.

Just for once I actually took some time to find a suitable location, set up both cameras on their tripods and check the filters before commencing.

This was a major mistake on my part because by the time I had finished checking everything, the light which produced this wonderful glow on the mist had disappeared. All this happened in only a few minutes. The light returned a few minutes later but it had a different intensity on the mist as the sun set. So I think I missed (no pun intended) the best part of that day simply through a moments inattention.

The moral is - don't get too caught up on planning. Keep it simple and make the most of your time when you arrive at your chosen location. Unless you are going overseas on holiday keep your photography trips as short as possible and find areas near you home that you are familiar with.

This way you can always revisit the location if the weather is not up to scratch and the skills that you gain will improve through constant repetition. Later on you will have enough knowledge and experience to guide you on longer trips.

Keeping it simple is the best approach. Don't worry - there is plenty around you to photograph in the meantime.


The photo was taken at about 5:00 pm in early April. Camera: Sony H1 Settings: 1/400s, f5.6, ISO100, focal length 48mm, 0 ev
Posted by Picasa

No comments: