Thursday, April 27, 2006

Point And Shoot

Sometimes you have to be lucky to get a shot like this and when that lucky day arrives my best advice is to point and shoot.

I recently had the pleasure of travelling by ship which is a rare way to travel these days. The journey started from Nelson which is at the top of the South Island and took me down the west coast to Fiordland and then onto Dunedin. More about that part of the journey later.

The day of our departure was very wet and overcast but as soon as we left Nelson the sun came out in the late afternoon and put on this wonderful display that you see below.

I doubt very much if I would have seen this vista from Nelson harbour or any place ashore so I feel rather privileged to have captured these on camera.

The term "point and shoot" is often used in a disparaging way to describe how amateur photographers use their digital cameras.

For me however that term describes times when mother nature puts on such a display that all you need to do is "point and shoot". Surely the only result can be a magnificent photogaphic occasion?

Sailing from Nelson that day was the most effortless shooting I have done since I started serious photography about 2 years ago. I can see why they named the area Golden Bay. By the way I was using a friends camera as well so I didn't really have much choice but to snap off as many photos as possible.

In years to come I expect people will ask "how did you do that one". There won't be any secrets from me. I 'll simply tell them the truth about taking a good photo is pointing and shooting!

All in all it was a very satisfying way to start a journey.

The photo was taken at about 5:30 pm in mid April. Camera: Sony R1 Settings: 1/500s, f6.3, ISO200, focal length 26mm
Posted by Picasa

No comments: