Monday, March 27, 2006

Grassy Knoll


Over the weekend I spent some time at St Kilda Beach. This isn't normal so let me explain why.

It's funny, but I seem to spend a lot of time photographing various parts of Dunedin and the Otago peninsula and hardly any time at all of the beach which is closest to my home. Is it a case of familiarity? No, not really. St Kilda Beach is a very lovely place. When I was growing up I spent a lot of time here while visiting my grandparents.

The beach is on Dunedin's doorstep. It is frequented by city folk walking their dogs or jogging or surfing. It's a good place to come and unwind. There is nothing wrong with the beach itself. Maybe it has become too popular? No, that's not the reason either.

The real reason I haven't spent much time taking photos here is that from a photographers point of view it always seems to be too hazy. Check out "Dark and Moody" and you'll know what I mean.

Today however the weather was mild and sunny and for once the southern end of the beach at St Clair wasn't hazy. Sometimes as a photographer you have to wait and revisit the same location again and again until the right weather or light comes along. Today was such a day. So, no more excuses from me then!



The photo was taken at about 7:40 pm in mid February. Camera: Sony H1 Settings: 1/320s, f5.6, ISO100, focal length 20mm, 0 ev Posted by Picasa

No comments: